Cheesy Beef Spirals
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup of meat sauce in a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Drain pasta; place half over sauce. Top with half of the remaining meat sauce; spread with sour cream. Top with process cheese and remaining pasta and meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Freeze option: Freeze individual portions of cooled pasta mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little spaghetti sauce if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 464 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein.
Feb 3, 2017
This recipe was amazing! I did double the Velveeta cheese and I used to garlic powder instead of fresh garlic. This is now a family favorite.
Apr 30, 2014
Pretty good, my daughter loves it.
Jan 30, 2013
This recipe was so good! I used Large shell pasta and added red pepper flakes for a little spice. I will be making this again.
Nov 4, 2011
I made a few modifications to this recipe. I used only 1 pound of beef- 2 pounds sounded like too much! I left out the mushrooms and didn't use the Velveeta. I used 2 cups of mozzarella and 1/4 cup of Parmesan. I didn't layer it either. Not only is it quicker to just mix everything together, it lets the flavors blend. I then topped it with the cheeses. It was delicious- will make again. The sour cream adds a nice addition- makes it creamy.
Aug 7, 2011
My husband and I loved it.
Jun 10, 2011
My family LOVES this and asks for it very often!
May 2, 2011
I made a few substitutions. I left out the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. I also doubled the sour cream. I also combined all the ingredients together rather than layering. I would definitely make this again. Very tasty and easy to make.
Apr 7, 2010
Cheese Galore - yum! I used minced onions and garlic powder in meat sauce, no mushrooms (not a fan), also used 1 c. sour cream and 1 lb. Velveeta cheese, can't wait for leftovers tonight!
Mar 26, 2010
I made a few changes to this recipe. I doubled the sauce and sour cream. Rather than layering so much I just did one layer of pasta, sour cream, velveeta, sauce, and lastly the mozzarella. It turned out great this way. This recipe makes a large dish and is very filling, which is great becuase my boys eat A LOT! A keeper recipe!
Sep 25, 2009
This is AMAZING... I just used ingredients i had around the house. Since my spaghetti sauce had mushrooms in it, i did not add more. i did not use velveeta cheese, just regular pasteurized cheese. and i did not have any sour cream in the house so that was absent. but other than that it was AMAZING!!! also it is great between hamburger buns!