Cheesy Fiesta Beef Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 package (9-3/4 ounces) nacho-flavored tortilla chips or plain tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional: Cubed avocado and sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in beans, picante sauce and chili powder.
- In a bowl, combine soup, tomatoes and green chiles. In a lightly greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half the chips, beef mixture, soup mixture and cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Microwave on medium-high, uncovered, until heated through and cheese is melted, about 12 minutes. If desired, top with avocado and sour cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 477 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1119mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein.
Oct 12, 2019
Black olives would really be good in this. Good flavor.
Sep 15, 2019
I notice the recipe calls for 1 cup of picante sauce. Picante in Spanish means hot as in hot chilie pepper hot like Tabasco or Tapatio. Is picante accurate or should it be salsa? I used salsa and added 2 diced serrano peppers for heat, adjusted the seasonings to our taste, including adding some ground cumin and used all pepper jack cheese and 1 can of sliced olives
Sep 2, 2019
This was easy to make and turned out yummy though I used what I had on hand: 1/2 a 15 oz can of pinto instead of black beans; an extra onion and two Roma tomatoes, chopped; one zucchini chopped and a can of Italian tomatoes rinsed really well. Also added 4 slices of mild cheddar cheese on top at the end since I was low on the cheese. A couple shakes of garlic salt on top at the end. Yum!! My girls (14 and 17) loved it too!
Jul 13, 2019
Very Good and an easy way to use a pound of meat. I added additional chili powder, salt and chopped cilantro -