Cheesy Fiesta Beef Casserole
Over the years I’ve tweaked this recipe to end up with a wonderful, quick weeknight meal. Feel free to spice it up with jalapenos, if you prefer a little more heat. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 package (9-3/4 ounces) nacho-flavored tortilla chips or plain tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional: Cubed avocado and sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in beans, picante sauce and chili powder.
- In a bowl, combine soup, tomatoes and green chiles. In a lightly greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half the chips, beef mixture, soup mixture and cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Microwave on medium-high, uncovered, until heated through and cheese is melted, about 12 minutes. If desired, top with avocado and sour cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 477 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1119mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Beef and Black Bean Fiesta Casserole in Simple & Delicious August/September 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.