Saucy Beef Patties
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties. In a large skillet, brown patties on both sides. Remove and set aside; drain drippings.
- In the same skillet, combine the remaining ingredients. Return patties to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Freeze option: Cool beef patties in sauce. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in patties reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 253 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 717mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 25, 2016
This recipe was made on 6/24. I didn't have a full pound of ground beef, so I used 1/2lb.beef & 1/2lb.ground pork. Then added the rest of the meat ingredients. After mixing up the sauce ingredients and tasting, I felt that it was WAY too sweet. So a bit of Smoked Spanish paprika,garlic powder,lemon juice, and chili powder was added. That seemed to correct the sweetness of the sauce. " Keep Smiling :) "
Aug 6, 2015
Husband liked it, but I thought it was just ok. It lacked something in the sauce. Not sure if it needed a little salt or what.
Jul 16, 2015
Followed the recipe and ingredient list exactly. Very tasty. There is about 2-3 Tbsp of sauce per patty because it reduces and thickens while cooking, which was perfect for us. I served it with potato salad and sliced tomatoes.
Sep 14, 2014
Good flavor. I need to make it in a smaller pan so it's saucier......the sauce spread out all over the bottom of the pan and was hard to 'spoon' it over the patties when serving. Will make it again!
Aug 19, 2014
Delicious and simple! I sub'd ground turkey for the ground beef and had to sub ketchup for the tomato sauce since I forgot to get any at the grocery store. Will definitely be making this again!
Nov 21, 2013
A delicious, easy supper. The sauce was amazing. Wish I had doubled it, too. It would have been delicious served over the garlic mashed potatoes I served with the beef patties.
Nov 13, 2013
My grandmother made a similar recipe for years. She called it Creole Hamburgers. My mother and I assumed she had created the recipe. She did this quite often.The best thing is to use any extra sauce as gravy over the mashed potatoes. And, Grandma put about a 1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon in the sauce.I thank Taste of Home for putting this on their website. I recently became a Diabetic. Now that the nutrition values are on this page, I know how many carbs this family favorite has!
Nov 13, 2013
This is the same sauce have used for years to top my stuffed peppers, always have to make extra, soooo good.
Jan 13, 2013
My family loved this! This is a keeper.
Apr 25, 2011
Super easy to prepare and pretty tasty too. I doubled the sauce recipe, just because I like lots of sauce. They're like little sweet and sour meatloaves. I don't have kids, but I imagine this would be a big hit with them. Definitely worth adding to your recipe box!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.