Saucy Veggie Spirals
This is my daughter Tonya's favorite meal. Sometimes we make it with rigatoni and call it Riga-Tonya. Either way, it's a quick, wonderful way to prepare some yummy vegetables for your kids. —Sandra Eckert, Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked gluten-free spiral pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet red or green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 package (16 ounces) firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups gluten-free meatless pasta sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion, pepper and zucchini until crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in tofu and pasta sauce; heat through. Stir in pasta.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups tofu mixture with 2/3 cup pasta: 267 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Vegetable Rigatoni in Quick & Light Bookazine 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.