Cornbread Pizza Wheels
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes2 pizzas (8 servings each)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tubes (11-1/2 ounces each) refrigerated cornbread twists
- Shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add beans, tomato sauce and chili powder. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat; cool. Stir in the pimientos, chilies and cheese; set aside.
- Sprinkle two greased 14-in. pizza pans with cornmeal. Pat cornbread dough into a 14-in. circle on each pan. With a sharp knife, cut a 7-in. "X" in the center of the dough. Cut another 7-in. "X" to form eight pie-shaped wedges in the center.
- Spoon filling around edge of dough. Fold points of dough over filling; tuck under ring and pinch to seal (filling will be visible).
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 176 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 17, 2015
we enjoy recipes like this and have also made it with chicken fajitas, tacos and I am working on using the crescent rolls for a sausage in the biscuits with gravy on top and eggs on the side. it also travels well for pot lucks and my teenage grandson loves it. so far so good!