Lots of holiday treats are sweet. For a change of pace, I fill goodie bags with my cheese crackers. The recipe has a large yield, but you can freeze the dough logs to bake later. —Heather Necessary, Shamokin Dan, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cheese until light and fluffy. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, garlic powder and cayenne; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in pecans.
- Shape into eight 10-in. long logs. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges are crisp and lightly browned. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool. Refrigerate in airtight containers. Freeze option: Place wrapped logs in resealable plastic freezer bags; place in freezer. To use, unwrap frozen logs and cut into slices. If necessary, let dough stand 15 minutes at room temperature before cutting. Bake as directed, increasing time by 1-2 minutes.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Pecan Cheddar Crisps in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.