Spicy Butterscotch Wings
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 red bird's eye chili peppers, sliced, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Using a sharp knife, cut through the 2 wing joints; discard wing tips. Combine next 7 ingredients; add wings and toss to coat.
- Line a 15x10-in. pan with foil; grease with cooking spray. Bake wings in prepared pan 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350° and bake until juices run clear, 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, spread sugar; cook, without stirring, over medium heat until it begins to melt. Gently drag melted sugar to center of pan so it melts evenly. Cook, without stirring, until melted sugar turns amber. Carefully stir in warm milk and butter. Simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened, 5-7 minutes. Keep warm.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter; add bread crumbs, 1 green onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until bread crumbs are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- To serve, toss wings in butterscotch sauce. Sprinkle with crumb topping, remaining green onion and sliced peppers, if desired. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 100 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 20, 2019
Great alternate recipe for wings. Made as stated.
Oct 15, 2019
A little more Sriracha, a little less red pepper flakes . . .Thoroughly enjoyable!
Jul 21, 2018
Jan 22, 2017
Yum! Lived the sweet sauce with the spicy wings. The pinko breadcrumb topping added a little crunchiness.
Oct 16, 2016
These were beautiful and absolutely fabulous! Wings just had a hit of sweetness that complimented the subtle spice. I omitted the red bird's eye chili peppers as those are not available in the area and instead topped with some sliced jalapenos. I like my wings crispy so I cooked about 15 mins at 400 then about 25 at 350.