Southwest Flank Steak
A perfectly balanced rub imparts deep flavors without the muss and fuss of a marinade that can often be time-consuming when you've got a hungry crowd to feed. — Kenny Fisher, Lancaster, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; rub over steak.
- On a greased grill rack, grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Let stand for 5 minutes. To serve, thinly slice across the grain.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef: 219 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Southwest Steak in Healthy Cooking June/July 2012
Jun 30, 2012
The coating charred making the steak taste awful.
May 25, 2012
This recipe was good but not excellent because the blend of the rub seasonings were not satisfactory. The rub's flavor was very dull but the meat came out good.