Chicken Bog is the traditional name for this South Carolina Lowcountry dish. We always make a big batch the day after Thanksgiving, when we're working on our family's Christmas tree farm. —Jean Cochran, Lexington, SC
Recommended: Ultimate Recipes for Southern Comfort Food
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 packages (13 to 14 ounces each ) smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a 6-quart stockpot, cook chicken in 2 cups broth over medium heat until a thermometer reads 170°, turning halfway through cooking. Remove chicken; set aside to cool. Add sausage, onion and remaining broth to stockpot; bring to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-18 minutes or until rice is almost tender (mixture may be soupy).
- Shred chicken; add to rice. Cook, covered, until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as South Carolina Chicken & Rice in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p92