- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake 8 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk and lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and lemon zest. Cool without stirring.
- Stir in sour cream. Add filling to crust. Top with whipped cream. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSour Cream-Lemon Pie
"had this at a luncheon, tasted like springtime, wonderful!!"
"Love love love this recipe."
"For the second time I've made this pie, both times with rave reviews. The only change I made is adding a little lemon juice to the whipped cream.Next time I will add the sour cream before it's completely cool, so it will be more incorporated. Even done as written its amazing, and not overly hard"
"Very good! I used graham cracker crust because I like that!"
"I used a ready made Graham cracker crust instead. I added a half of cup of evaporated milk to the regular milk. Great pie. ."
"We loved this pie. It was creamy with just the right mixture of sweet and tart. I made two changes. I substituted 1/2 cup of maple syrup instead of the sugar, and I added a tsp of cream of tarter to the whipped cream since I wanted it to hold its shape for a couple of days."
"I made this pie last night and came out so so i would actually cut back on the amount of lemon juice and not use the lemon zest... it was just to lemonie for my taste buds ... maybe in addition to the sour cream thrown in a tub of cool whip"
"We found another version of this in a little local grocery store in Lincoln City, OR and I had to search for the recipe so I could make it once I got home. I found this one and knew it would be good, and it didn't disapoint us. This is the best pie EVER!! I have already made one with a homemade cookie crumb crust and it was awesome. I am making it with Trader Joe's pie crust tonight and my husband is already drooling. Make this....it's worth it!!"