Slow-Cooker Milk-Can Supper
Here’s a slow-cooked version of an old campfire classic. Pioneers and cowboys would cook this kind of meal over a milk can on an open fire, letting the flavors and textures blend together beautifully. —Nick Iverson, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 uncooked bratwurst links
- 2 pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onion, quartered
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 each garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 each bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup light beer
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; add sausages and cook until browned, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Place potatoes in single layer on the bottom of a 6-qt. slow cooker. Top with cabbage, onion, carrot and parsnips. Add thyme, garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Add sausages; pour beer and chicken broth over top. Cook, covered, until vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 457 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 967mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Slower Cooker Milk-Can Supper in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.