Slow-Cooked Big Breakfast
This is one of our go-to dishes for holidays and times when we know our day will be especially busy. You can substitute whatever vegetables your family prefers. It’s also good with steak instead of sausage. —Delisha Paris, Elizabeth Cty, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours + standing
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 pound cubed deli ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes and water in a large microwave-safe dish. Microwave, covered, on high until potatoes are tender, about 6 minutes, stirring halfway. Drain and add to sausage.
- Stir in onion, sweet red pepper, spinach, mushrooms, ham and cheese. Transfer to a greased 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients until blended; pour over sausage mixture. Cook, covered, on low until eggs are set, 3-4 hours. Let stand, uncovered, 10 minutes before serving.