Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and room temperature
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer, optional
- Optional Toppings: croutons, popcorn, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced green onions
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened.
- Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer if desired. Cover and cook on low until heated through. Serve with desired toppings.
1 cup: 256 calories, 21g fat (14g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.Originally published as Savory Cheese Soup in Quick Cooking May/June 2000Read Next
Mar 10, 2018
A simple and versatile recipe. I made it without the beer as I was making it for a crowd, but overall, I thought it was tasty. I would agree with the previous comments about the cream cheese not melting. On the bright side, I did cube the cream cheese up in small enough pieces that I could "smash" them without making too much of a mess. Those pieces that weren't completely smashed were small enough that no one complained.
Feb 25, 2018
Worst crock pot recipe I've ever made! After 7 hours of cooking (first 5 just to wilt vegetables?), my family is starving and I had to throw it in a pot on the stove to get the cream cheese to melt. Absolutely ridiculous--and to make matters worse, it was just average at best. Totally frustrating and disappointing...
Jan 17, 2017
Worst recipe ever. First of all I have no idea why it needs to cook for 7-8 hrs first. Then when you finally get around to adding the cream cheese it takes FOREVER for it to melt. I won't be making this again even if by some miracle it tastes good.
Oct 28, 2016
Added a dash of cayenne pepper for a little zip. Still a little bland but overall a good soup.
Nov 11, 2015
This has become a regular in our slow-cooker. I use sharp cheddar for extra flavor, and I chop the veggies very fine and leave out the beer for my finicky eaters. The kids like it with gold fish crackers, hubby likes his with bacon pieces and I have mine with broken-up pretzels. A winner all-around!
Aug 13, 2013
My whole family loves it- it is perfect as is. Tastes even better the second day.
Oct 7, 2012
Not bad, but I found it too salty. I even used reduced sodium chicken broth to make it.
Sep 4, 2012
This was good, and you can do a lot with it - add mushrooms, broccolli, etc. We got tired eating the soup - added paprika and cayenne pepper and had a cheese dip (i'd reduce it more if I were to use it for that again). Very good, very versatile.
Jan 25, 2008
This was very good. Ham or broccoli would be a nice addition as well.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Savory Cheese Soup
More from Taste of Home