Slow Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup
I love indulgent cream soups but not the fat that goes along with them, so I came up with a healthier version. The velvety texture of this cauliflower soup makes it feel so rich, and the spicy kick warms you up in a flash. —Teri Rasey, Cadillac, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1-3/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons dried celery flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons adobo seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions and croutons
- Place first ten ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add water; sprinkle milk powder over top.
- Cook, covered, on low until cauliflower is very tender, 6-8 hours. Remove bay leaf. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to slow cooker and heat through. Serve with toppings as desired.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 80 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Healthier Cream of Cauliflower Soup in Simple & Delicious April/May 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.