Hearty Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In a nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the potatoes, broth, carrots, celery, salt, basil, parsley and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; add the cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 208 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 833mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Dec 11, 2013
This is a family favorite for years! I do not change a thing.
Feb 27, 2011
One of our kids favorite.
Jan 22, 2009
This is comfort food at it's best. This soup is creamy and delicious; one would not suspect that it is actually good for you! I will definitely make this soup again and again.