Slow-Cooked Caribbean Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- Place potatoes, carrots and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, seasonings, orange zest and cocoa. Stir in tomato sauce; add to skillet and heat through. Pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup vegetable mixture : 278 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 453mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Mar 30, 2018
Excellent recipe just as written. Great combo of spices.
Jan 7, 2018
Loved this over spaghetti squash. 2nd time I made it I added chunks of red potatoes toward the end and put sweet potatoes on top. Freezes well.
Dec 29, 2017
This recipe was nice for a different way to prepare pot roast. I placed the roast in the crock pot and placed the vegetables on top so they wouldn't get mushy as they did for other reviewers, and that helped. It isn't one of my favorite recipes, but I may prepare it again sometime.
Dec 18, 2017
May 26, 2017
This smells delicious as it is cooking. The sauce is very flavorful. The carrots maintain a good texture when cooked, but we were not fans of the sweet potatoes. They turned out mushy, and did not soak up flavor from the sauce.
Feb 8, 2017
Really enjoyed this recipe. It was easy to make and different from the same old same old. I saw someone mentioned they might try it with a pork roast and that is exactly what I'm going to do.
Nov 14, 2015
It's a keeper.
Mar 9, 2015
Mmm- I'am not sure what to say about this recipe, i didn't think it was that bad, but my family wasn't trilled by it. I might try it with a pork loin instead of beef roast.
Jan 15, 2015
Flavors are fantastic. Makes lots of sauce. Serve with rice/potatoes to use up the sauce. Smelled awesome as it is cooking. Highly recommend. It is a keeper.
Mar 14, 2014
I really liked this recipe. It was a little to sweet for me so I added some red pepper flakes to give it a little heat. My family loved it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.