Roast Beef Caribbean Style
This recipe took first place in the 2011 South Dakota Beef Cook-off. Cooking the roast uncovered for the first 30 minutes gives it a crusty exterior similar to barbecued brisket, and the flavorful sauce adds just a hint of heat. —Susan Patrick Watertown, SD
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours + standing
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 to 3 habanero peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 300°. For sauce, mix first 13 ingredients.
- Cut eight small slits in roast; fill with garlic halves. Mix 2 tablespoons oil, minced garlic, seasoned salt and pepper; rub onto roast.
- In a Dutch oven, heat remaining oil over medium heat; brown roast on all sides. Spoon 3 tablespoons sauce over roast, spreading evenly. Add 1 cup sauce to pan. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 250°. Top roast with an additional 3 tablespoons sauce. Cover pan; bake until beef is tender, 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes.
- If desired, remove garlic halves before slicing. Serve roast with remaining sauce and lime wedges.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef with 4 teaspoons sauce: 449 calories, 32g fat (8g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 1078mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Roast Beef Caribbean Style in Country Woman June/July 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.