For a tasty main dish that's ready in minutes, Kim Shea of Wethersfield, Connecticut jazzes up leftovers with colorful fresh peppers and convenient canned tomatoes. The slightly sweet combination looks appealing over rice.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound cooked beef sirloin or round steak, cut into thin strips
- Hot cooked rice
- In a skillet or wok, stir-fry the onion, peppers and garlic in butter until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, basil, sugar, garlic salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add steak; cover and simmer until heated through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 273 calories, 11g fat (0 saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Sirloin Stir-Fry in Quick Cooking November/December 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips