Convenient frozen veggies and canned broth shorten prep time for this deliciously different stir-fry from Nykii Chouteau. "Smoked kielbasa provides the hearty change of pace," reports the Clermont, Florida cook
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound fully cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen stir-fry vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add sausage, vegetables and bamboo shoots if desired; stir-fry until heated through. Combine cornstarch, cayenne, broth and soy sauce until smooth; add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 182 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Sausage Stir-Fry in Quick Cooking November/December 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.