Sirloin in Wine Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Hot cooked linguine
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and mustard. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown beef in butter. Add consomme and wine. Stir in the mushrooms, onions and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with linguine. Freeze option: Cool beef mixture. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in beef reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup (calculated without linguine): 258 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Dec 31, 2014
Kids loved it- thickened sauce with cornstarch and water and did not serve over noodles- was terrific as a saucy sirloin dish!
Jul 28, 2014
This is very tasty and it's a quick supper. We ate it with a vegetable as a side dish. I used beef broth in place of the wine.
Nov 17, 2011
"Keeper" was the immediate reaction! Had to use condensed beef broth instead of the consomme I coulda sworn I had, so I added 1 tsp cornstarch at the 10 minute simmer mark and gave it another 5 minutes to thicken, worked just fine. Served on hot rice due to family pref. Just plain delicious, and so easy and quick!
Jan 8, 2011
This is a quick and easy dinner. My family loves it. I serve it with a toss salad, dinner rolls and a glass of red wine!