Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (4 to 6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and oregano; cook and stir 1 minute. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Gradually whisk in wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until reduced by half. Strain sauce and return to pan. Gradually stir in remaining butter until melted. Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- Sprinkle steaks with remaining salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Cover and let stand for 3-5 minutes. Serve with wine sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 steak with 2 tablespoons sauce: 296 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 331mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Feb 13, 2013
I have shared with several family members. All of them have enjoyed this recipe!
Dec 10, 2011
I made it with red wine and that was all I could taste, next time I will try with the beef broth.
Feb 9, 2010
Just an excellent meal! We served it with a Baby Spinach and Shrimp Salad! Very Delicious!Jcradd
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.