Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (4 to 6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and oregano; cook and stir 1 minute. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Gradually whisk in wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until reduced by half. Strain sauce and return to pan. Gradually stir in remaining butter until melted. Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- Sprinkle steaks with remaining salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Cover and let stand for 3-5 minutes. Serve with wine sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 steak with 2 tablespoons sauce: 296 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 331mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 13, 2013
I have shared with several family members. All of them have enjoyed this recipe!
Dec 10, 2011
I made it with red wine and that was all I could taste, next time I will try with the beef broth.
Feb 9, 2010
Just an excellent meal! We served it with a Baby Spinach and Shrimp Salad! Very Delicious!Jcradd