Tomato and Pepper Sirloin Steak
The beefy sauce and zippy peppers in this dish offer an amazing amount of flavor for under 300 calories. —Gayle Tarkowski, Traverse City, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 large green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 to 3 tablespoons beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl or shallow dish, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef slices, a few pieces at a time. Toss gently to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in green peppers, broth and Worcestershire sauce; simmer, covered, until peppers are tender, 10-15 minutes. Serve with rice.
Test Kitchen tips