- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 large green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 to 3 tablespoons beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl or shallow dish, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef slices, a few pieces at a time. Toss gently to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in green peppers, broth and Worcestershire sauce; simmer, covered, until peppers are tender, 10-15 minutes. Serve with rice.
Test Kitchen tips
1 cup pepper steak mixture: 284 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 552mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.