Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham, optional
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat.
- Place lettuce in a shallow 3-qt. dish; top with the green pepper, cucumber, macaroni, eggs, cabbage, red onion, carrots, ham if desired, peas and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the Miracle Whip, sour cream, 1/4 cup of green onions, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper; spread over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with remaining green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 200 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 7, 2019
Made this for supper last night for my husband
Jul 1, 2018
We loved this salad, I clipped it out of Taste of home magazine years ago and finally tried it last week. It is fresh and makes the best light lunch. The calorie count isn't as high as some salads which makes me feel even better. We'll be making it a regular!
Jun 27, 2017
I took this over to a friend's and he said it was like a chef salad with the dressing! Everyone loved it!!
Jan 27, 2014
This is so good. Lots of fresh veggies and a different dressing. A keeper!
Jul 31, 2011
I love this salad and so do my friend's! It's interesting how layering the ingredient's makes it taste so different than a traditional macaroni salad. The cold macaroni on the bottom keeps the entire salad chilled, I think that is one reason it is so cool and refreshing to eat. =) Yum !
Mar 4, 2011
This is amazing and so delicious! Travels well, too. Sometimes I substitute regular mustard and prepared horseradish if I am out of horseradish mustard. I have seen people fight over leftovers. haha
Mar 22, 2010
This salad is one my family absolutely loves and we make it every chance we get. It's so good, it's a keeper for sure and definitely going in my recipe box.
Dec 19, 2009
I can't really add to the previous comments. My daughter loved it. So much more colorful than most other macaroni salads, with the added plus of saving time as it is made ahead.
Oct 24, 2009
I've made this several times, and it's delicious. I leave out the eggs, since my son doesn't like them, and serve them sliced on the side for people who do. The last time I prepared it the dressing on top ran out before the rest of it was gone, so I made half of the dressing recipe and spread over the salad that was left. I now consider this a recipe that I'll definitely make several times a year.
Jan 5, 2008
I made this eye-catching pasta salad twice recently for family get-togethers. It travels beautifully. As soon as the first serving is spooned up, the rest goes quickly and eaters rave about the taste. It's definitely a successful recipe.