Secret Ingredient Fried Catfish
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons carbonated water
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 catfish fillets (6 ounces each)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. In another shallow bowl, combine the pancake mix, seasoned salt and pepper. Dip fillets in egg mixture, then coat with seasoned pancake mix.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry fillets, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts1 fillet: 475 calories, 34g fat (5g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
May 21, 2018
Hands down the best Fried Catfish I have ever eaten.
Feb 12, 2016
This is really best if baking soda is added. I may already be in your pancake mix but it will fizzle if left to stand too long and more will need to be added. The batter needs to be used immediately to be effective. : )
Feb 20, 2015
This is a real good tempura type batter. I also add 1/2 tea of turmeric to the dry ingredients to give the fried fish a beautiful golden color.