Blackened Catfish with Mango Avocado Salsa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
Makes4 servings (2 cups salsa)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 catfish fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1 medium mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Combine the oregano, cumin, paprika, 2 teaspoons pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt; rub over fillets. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mango, avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and remaining salt and pepper. Chill until serving.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook fillets in oil over medium heat until fish flakes easily with a fork, 5-7 minutes on each side. Serve with salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 fillet with 1/2 cup salsa: 376 calories, 22g fat (4g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 3, 2019
This recipe is fantastic. The salsa is so good on top of the tasty fish. Delicious - will make again.
Apr 26, 2018
I used tilapia here. Everything was great. And they loved the avocado salsa!!