Pan-Fried Catfish with Spicy Pecan Gremolata
Gremolata, a citrusy minced herb mix, makes a flavorful garnish. This well-seasoned version, with pecans added, gives an unexpected nutty flavor to the catfish.— Laureen Pittman, Riverside, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/2 cup glazed pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 4 catfish fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Place the first seven ingredients in a food processor. Cover and process until chunky; set aside.
- Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and Cajun seasoning. Dip fish in buttermilk, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook fillets in oil in batches over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with gremolata.
Nutrition Facts1 fillet with 2 tablespoons gremolata: 586 calories, 37g fat (5g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Pan Fried Catfish with Sweet & Spicy Pecan Gremolata in Country Woman October/November 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.