Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 12 Johnsonville® Original Breakfast Sausage Links
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 9-in. cast-iron skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain on paper towels. Arrange eight links in a spoke-like pattern in same skillet or a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Cut remaining links in half; place between whole sausages.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir egg and vanilla into cornmeal mixture; add to dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Pour batter over sausages.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with syrup.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 481 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 940mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Mar 31, 2018
Sounds delicious, I bet milk gravy poured over it would be good too!
Mar 23, 2011
The flavour of the breakfast sausage is lost in the overwhelming presence of cornbread.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.