My husband and I try to eat healthy, but finding new meals for breakfast is a challenge. By adding tomatoes, spinach and garlic to traditional eggs and egg whites, we can have a dish that is both light and satisfying.—Wendy G. Ball, Battle Creek, Michigan.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Salsa, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 4-6 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites until blended. In same pan, add eggs; cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from pan; wipe skillet clean if necessary.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach, tomatoes and garlic; cook and stir until spinach is wilted, 2-3 minutes. Stir in sausage and eggs; heat through. Sprinkle with pepper.
- To serve, spoon 2/3 cup filling across center each tortilla. Fold bottom and sides of tortilla over filling and roll up. If desired, serve with salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 burrito: 258 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 596mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Egg and Turkey Scramble Burritos in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016