- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 2 pounds reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare roll mix dough according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in seasonings.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each into a 14x8-in. rectangle. Top each with 1-1/4 cups sausage mixture to within 1 inch of edges; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams and ends to seal.
Transfer to greased baking sheets, seam side down. In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush over loaves. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Cool 5 minutes before slicing.
Freeze Option: Cool cooked sandwiches 1 hour on wire racks. Cut each sandwich into thirds; wrap each securely in foil. Freeze until serving. To reheat sandwiches in the oven, place wrapped frozen sandwiches on a baking sheet. Heat in a preheated 375° oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 sandwich loaves (3 pieces each).
Reviews forSausage Bread Sandwiches
"I made these sandwiches according to the recipe and my family loved them, so they are delicious whether you follow the recipe above or make the changes suggested by mecherokee. They were a bit of work to prepare but well worth it."
"This is my recipe and I think the directions could have been made more clear. After you make the hot roll mix according to pkg. directions,knead the dough for 5 to 6 minutes.. cover the dough with a large bowl and let rest for 5 minutes, Then grease the bowl , place dough in bowl, turn to grease the top of dough. Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place for 1 hr. or until double. Then divide dough into 4 equal parts and make sandwiches and bake. I bake them 30 min."