Sausage Broccoli Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Thaw dough and let rise according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the drippings, saute the broccoli, tomatoes and onion until crisp-tender; drain and cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each loaf of dough into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Spread sausage lengthwise down the center third of each rectangle. Top with broccoli mixture and cheese. Fold the short sides in 1 in.; pinch to seal. Fold long sides over filling; pinch to seal.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Brush egg over top and sides of each loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 167 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 6, 2012
Served this for a superbowl snack and my friends loved it. They went back for seconds.
Nov 9, 2009
I have probably made this bread a hundred times since I first received the magazine in the mail 10 years ago. It is wonderful exactly as is but I have always used my own homemade bread dough. I am a real DIY-er and don't by premade foods that I can make myself. That said this is one of my families favorites. Its a wonderful starter recipe too. If you like to play with your food like I do try this out you won't be dissappointed. Sometimes I roll it up like you would a cinnamon roll-still cooking in like a loaf, that way all the filling doesn't fall out. This makes it a lot easier to eat on the run. Or make individual sizes to suit everyones tastes. *****freezes well*****