Sausage and Mushroom Corn Bread Dressing
I learned about corn bread dressing while living in the south for a few years. I decided to combine it with a few of my favorite stuffing ingredients to give it my own spin. —James Schend, Food Editor, Taste of Home
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min.
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- CORN BREAD DRESSING:
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs (3-4 slices)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place a 10-in. cast-iron skillet in the oven; preheat to 425°. Whisk together first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk milk, eggs, 1/4 cup olive oil, honey and vinegar; whisk into dry ingredients. Remove skillet from oven; lightly grease with remaining olive oil. Pour in batter. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, crumbling meat, until no longer pink. Remove and drain. In same skillet, cook mushrooms, celery and onion until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Crumble cornbread into a large bowl; stir in sausage, mushroom mixture and remaining ingredients. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, at least 8 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake, uncovered, until browned and mixture is set, 40-45 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 276 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 592mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Sausage and Mushroom Cornbread Dressing in Taste of Home November 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.