- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry mast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Cover and melt rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Stir the dough down. Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack.
- Combine the honey butter ingredients until smooth. Serve with bread. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forSally Lunn Batter Bread
"Excellent bread, great with Pot Roast!"
"Can I substitute bread flour for all purpose flour?"
"Definitely a make-again. So easy to make and delicious."
"I'm going to make this today. I'll substitute the dry yeast (don't have any) with fresh active yeast. Hope it turns out well..."
"Very tasty! Mine started browning way too fast, so I just covered it with aluminum foil. Thanks for sharing!!"
"I was worried as my first rise wasn't very pronounced, but I went ahead with it and gave it additional time on the 2nd. It baked quickly and tastes great. flaky crusty. Great with regular butter. I'd definitely try again and use fresher yeast just in case that was my problem!"
"Sounds wonderful - has anybody tried to substitute and make gluten free? I'm new to gluten free but have to do it - if anybody has pls leave a comment!!! Thanks!!!"
"Love this bread! The directions were a little confusing, and for some reason the top of the bread got really brown but the middle didn't cook completely, but I think this was my own fault because I put it on a really high rack in the oven. But this bread is definitely now one of my absolute favorites! It's delicious! I didn't even make the honey butter, the bread tastes fantastic even without it! Definitely recommend this recipe!"