Dilly Casserole Bread
I got this recipe from a church cookbook years ago and I've used it ever since. I've added a few touches of my own to it. This bread is the favorite of our grandchildren, and we always take some when we go to visit them.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese, lukewarm
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons dill seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Soften yeast in water; set aside. In bowl combine cottage cheese, sugar, onion, butter, dill seed, salt, soda and egg. Mix until blended. Stir in yeast. Gradually add flour to form stiff dough. Cover and let rise in warm place for about 1 hour.
- Stir down dough. Turn into well-greased 8-in. round baking dish, about 1- to 1-1/2-qt. size. Let rise for 30-40 minutes. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes. Brush with additional butter. Cut in wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 181 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Dilly Casserole Bread in Country April/May 1990
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.