Red, White ‘n’ Blue Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package (3 ounces) berry blue gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- 2-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Optional: Whipped topping and additional berries
- Dissolve berry blue gelatin in 1 cup boiling water; stir in 1 cup cold water. Add blueberries. Pour into a 3-qt. serving bowl. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add cream and sugar; cook and stir over low heat until dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Whisk in sour cream and vanilla. Spoon over blue layer. Refrigerate until firm.
- Dissolve raspberry gelatin in remaining hot water; stir in remaining cold water. Add raspberries. Spoon over cream layer. Chill until set. Top with whipped topping and berries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 179 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 26, 2019
I have made this for every Fourth of July for years. The holiday simply would not be the same without it. I would give this more than five stars if I could!
Jun 3, 2018
Made the red layer strawberry because it’s what I had on hand. It was amazing! I plan on making the next one with cherries for my Granddaughter. It’s one of her favorite flavors.
Sep 14, 2017
Jun 22, 2017
I've been making this for years, a true family favorite! I do cut the white layer in half as my family didn't care for so much, and have subbed plain or vanilla yogurt for the sour cream. Greek yogurt works well.
May 23, 2017
Family favorite for many years! Sometimes I double layer amounts, allowing extra cooling time in between each. Have also switched out flavors/colors of gelatines, used different berries- every variation has been well received. 4th of July parties wouldn't be the same without it! Thank you for this lovely recipe!
Jul 10, 2016
I was intimated to try this at first because of how pretty it looked but I'm glad I took a chance on it. Very easy to put together and very satisfying.
Jul 5, 2016
What a wonderful recipe!!! My niece, Missy, made this for her 4th of July picnic and it was delicious! I must admit that I am not a big fan of Jello, but this salad was delicious! Fruity .... light ...... creamy. Just delicious! I think, for my taste, I would add a little more sugar to the white layer ..... all in all, though .....very tasty!!I'm thinking this could be used for other holidays ..... red (strawberry or raspberry), white and green (lime) for Christmas??? Purple (is there grape flavored Jello??), white and yellow (lemon or pineapple??) for Easter ....... Orange, white and purple for Halloween.... maybe add gummy worms or gummy eyeballs for Halloween??? Possibilties are endless!!
Jul 4, 2016
This was a particular hit with the kids but everyone liked it. I used disposable clear cups and made individual servings.
Jul 3, 2016
I thought it was very simple, next time i will increase the red layer, and make the blue jello the quick set method as the boiling water was in my opinion too hot at first to get it to set in 1 hr. The freezer helped though. Overall great recipe
Jun 22, 2015
Came together easily and everyone loved it. A cut above the typical gelatin salad with the added fresh fruit.