Red, White & Blue Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes12 servings (1 cup each)
- 1-1/4 pounds small purple potatoes (about 11), quartered
- 1 pound small Yukon Gold potatoes (about 9), quartered
- 1 pound small red potatoes (about 9), quartered
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons each minced fresh basil, dill and parsley
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Place all potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle potatoes with stock and wine; toss gently, allowing liquids to absorb.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegars, mustards, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Add vinaigrette, vegetables, bacon and herbs to potato mixture; toss to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 221 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Jun 9, 2014
This is an interesting variation on potato salad. Everyone really liked it, especially the guys (it must be the bacon). I followed the recipe exactly except for two things: added some sugar( about 1 tsp) to the mustard vinaigrette as it was pretty "tart" and reduced the amount of dill (to 1 Tbsp). Some family members don't care for dill. Interestingly, they didn't seem to notice there was ANY dill in it. Unusual and tasty salad. Won't add sesame seeds next time--didn't really add to the flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.