Red, White and Blue Pita Pockets
Completely packed with delicious fillings, these pockets get their patriotic name from red peppers, white sour cream and tangy blue cheese. But don’t wait for the Fourth of July to serve them; they’re fantastic any night of the year! Charlene Chambers — Ormond Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 5 min.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 2 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the vinegar, oil and garlic; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and blue cheese; set aside. Drain and discard marinade.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry beef for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Line pita halves with lettuce, red peppers and onion; fill each with 1/3 cup beef. Serve with sour cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 351 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 522mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Beefy Red, White & Blue Pita Pockets in Healthy Cooking December/January 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.