Black Bean Pita Pockets
"This is my own creation, invented one day at lunch time when I had limited time and ingredients," writes Ruth Lee, of Troy, Ontario. To add a fresh, crisp taste, add chopped cilantro to these pockets. Complete your meal by serving these with Chunky Tomato Guacamole.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pita bread (6 inches), halved
- 3/4 cup torn romaine
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Just before serving, fill pita bread halves with romaine, bean mixture and tomato.