Black Bean Pita Pockets
"This is my own creation, invented one day at lunch time when I had limited time and ingredients," writes Ruth Lee, of Troy, Ontario. To add a fresh, crisp taste, add chopped cilantro to these pockets. Complete your meal by serving these with Chunky Tomato Guacamole.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pita bread (6 inches), halved
- 3/4 cup torn romaine
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Just before serving, fill pita bread halves with romaine, bean mixture and tomato.
Nutrition Facts1 filled pita half (prepared with reduced-fat mayonnaise): 319 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Black Bean, Corn and Bacon Pita Pockets in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008