- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-3/4 cups soft sourdough bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 5 ounces thinly sliced Havarti cheese
- 1-1/4 cups loosely packed basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil and butter for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add mushrooms; cook 6-8 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender and no liquid remains. Stir in salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, thyme and mushroom mixture. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture; mix well.
- On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Layer the prosciutto, Havarti, basil and tomatoes to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seams and ends.
- Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 75-85 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forProsciutto-Stuffed Meat Loaf
"This has a lot of ingredients but well worth the effort and the Havarti is awesome in it.l"
"Have made this a few times and it's always delicious"
"I made this for my 2nd anniversary and both my husband and I loved it. I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect. Wouldn't change a thing!"
"This is a fabulous dish! My men rave about it to their friends!"