Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, sour cream and extracts. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Divide dough into fourths; shape each portion into a 6-in. roll. Cut rolls into 1/2-in. slices; roll each into a 10-in. rope. Shape into a pretzel; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine almonds and sugar. In another bowl, whisk egg and water. Brush each cookie with egg wash: sprinkle with almond mixture. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 89 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Sep 7, 2014
These are very tasty! I made a 1/2 batch since there's only two of us at home. (The recipe calls for 2 eggs total, so I beat 1 egg in a cup, added 1.5 Tbsp. to the dough and reserved the rest for the egg wash.) The dough did start to soften and get sticky pretty quickly, so I would recommend working with one 6-inch portion at a time and keep the rest of the dough in the fridge until you're ready for it. I'll definitely be making these again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.