Coconut-Almond Cookie Bark
As kids, my friends and I sandwiched Almond Joys between cookies. For our high school reunion, I re-created the idea with a tasty cookie version that breaks apart like chocolate bark.—Faith Cromwell, San Francisco, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 pounds
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1-1/2 cups milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 6-8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Transfer to a large bowl; cool 15 minutes.
- Whisk in sugars, egg and extract until smooth. In another bowl, whisk flour and salt; stir into sugar mixture. Fold in 1 cup coconut and 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Press into an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 24-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack; sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Toast remaining coconut. Spread chocolate chips evenly over cookie. Sprinkle with remaining coconut; top with almonds. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes or until chocolate is set. Break cookie into pieces.
Originally published as Coconut Almond Cookie Bark in Ultimate Cookie Swap 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.