Chocolate-Strawberry Pretzel Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups finely ground pretzels (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, mix ground pretzels, flour and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk. Cover and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter. Using a floured 1-3/4-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the centers of half of the cookies. Place solid and window cookies 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread melted chocolate onto bottoms of solid cookies; let stand until firm. Spread jam over cooled chocolate; top with window cookies. Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar.
Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and decorate as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 245 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 7, 2018
I made these cookies exactly as the recipe specified and found them easy to work with, but mostly flavorless. When I left off the melted chocolate and just used jam they were much better.