Portobello Beef Burgundy
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 7-1/2 hours
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef sirloin tip steak, cubed
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain. In same skillet, brown beef in oil in batches, adding garlic to last batch; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add bouillon; bring to a boil. Stir into slow cooker. Stir in bacon. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in mushrooms. Cover and cook on high 30-45 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender and sauce is slightly thickened. Serve with noodles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without noodles): 321 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 552mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 27, 2013
Very easy and very good. I used just over 2 cups of wine though to have a sauce, otherwise I followed the recipe. I served it over mashed potatoes.
Sep 29, 2013
This was a wonderful dish. It's easy to make and very tasty. My crockpot cooks fast so I used a lower setting. I did add additional wine so that I would have a sauce for my pasta. Will make it again. Thanks for a very fast recipe.