Portobello Beef Burgundy
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 7-1/2 hours
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef sirloin tip steak, cubed
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain. In same skillet, brown beef in oil in batches, adding garlic to last batch; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add bouillon; bring to a boil. Stir into slow cooker. Stir in bacon. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in mushrooms. Cover and cook on high 30-45 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender and sauce is slightly thickened. Serve with noodles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without noodles): 321 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 552mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Nov 27, 2013
Very easy and very good. I used just over 2 cups of wine though to have a sauce, otherwise I followed the recipe. I served it over mashed potatoes.
Sep 29, 2013
This was a wonderful dish. It's easy to make and very tasty. My crockpot cooks fast so I used a lower setting. I did add additional wine so that I would have a sauce for my pasta. Will make it again. Thanks for a very fast recipe.