Plum-Topped Chocolate Kuchen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sliced fresh plums
- 1/4 cup port wine
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped hazelnuts, divided
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream and confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the plums, wine and honey; let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a 9-in. springform pan with 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons hazelnuts. Place pan on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a microwave, melt chocolate and remaining butter; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, combine eggs, 2/3 cup sugar and milk. Add chocolate mixture. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to chocolate mixture just until combined. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Drain plums, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid. Arrange plums over batter; drizzle with reserved liquid. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar and hazelnuts; sprinkle over top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen. Serve warm or cold. Garnish with whipped cream and confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 263 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 12, 2019
This is our absolute go-to dessert and I have made it at least a dozen times. The texture is hearty and not overly sweet, allowing the plums to shine and the hazelnuts give it a nice nuttiness.