Ganache-Topped Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 ounces 53% cacao dark baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 ounces 53% cacao dark baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Fresh raspberries, confectioners' sugar and baking cocoa, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pour boiling water over chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Whisk in sugar, buttermilk, egg and extracts. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; whisk into chocolate mixture just until blended.
- Transfer to a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Place rack on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- For ganache, bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Slowly pour over cake, allowing some ganache to drape over sides.
- Refrigerate until serving. If desired, sprinkle with raspberries, confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 179 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 5, 2019
This is actually a Sacher Torte. This recipe eliminated the step of melting a cup of apricot jam to brush over the cake before topping with ganache.
May 1, 2018
Too much fat and not a good ratio of percentage Cocoa
Apr 25, 2018
If I could give this recipe 10 stars, I would. It's terrific. I'm not a very good baker, but this came out just great.So moist and delicious, can't say enough about it. Will make this again and again.
Mar 25, 2017
For a diabetic friendly dessert, this certainly is better than most! I have made it several times to accommodate guests with sugar issues and it has always been well liked.
Oct 16, 2014
One of the easiest and most delicious cakes ever! I made just a few changes by adding orange zest and using 60 % coco for the ganache so there is a contrasting sweetness between it and the cake. This is truly an exceptional dessert recipe.P.S. runny ganache means too much cream.
Apr 9, 2013
It is so quick and easy to make. I can whip it up last minute. The ganache didn't turn out the first time but tried it again and had it turn out. My family likes it.
May 6, 2012
Delicious! Love the combination of chocolate and orange.
May 2, 2012
The cake tasted excellent. Unfortunately the gnache did not turn out well for me, it was more runny and did not firm up. My kids loved it and it was easy to make.
Dec 22, 2011
I've made this a few times and it comes out great each time. Its a gorgeous dessert whose flavor doesn't disappoint! Only suggestion, line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
Dec 20, 2011
My husband devoured the cake. Made a few mistakes and conscious alterations....added 3 oz chocolate, coffee instead of hot water, kaluha instead of orange extract and regular milk instead of butter milk. Delicious. Making it again for New Years party!