- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- GANACHE FROSTING:
- 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 teaspoons light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line bottoms of 3 greased 8-in. square baking pans with parchment; grease the paper.
- Place chocolate in a small bowl. Pour hot coffee over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed until lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, oil, vanilla and the chocolate mixture, beating until well blended. In another bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream and corn syrup just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Let stand at room temperature to cool and thicken slightly, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Mixture will be very soft, but will thicken when spread onto cake.)
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/3 cup ganache. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining ganache over top and sides of cake.
TWO-LAYERED DEEP & DARK GANACHE CAKE & CUPCAKES: Prepare cake as directed, using 12 paper-lined muffin cups and 2 greased and parchment-lined 8-in. square baking pans. Fill muffin cups three-fourths full; bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Divide remaining batter between prepared cake pans. Reduce oven setting to 325°; bake cake layers as directed. Yield: One 2-layered cake and 1 dozen cupcakes (24 servings).
1 piece (3-layered cake): 437 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.