Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients until smooth. Combine the flours, baking soda, salt and spices; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Stir in carrots and raisins. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sugar. Frost the cake. Sprinkle with walnuts and coconut. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 286 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 9, 2015
Makes a great layer cake too! Doesn't taste light or healthy at all. Great flavor! I have substituted the applesauce with buttermilk and it turned out fine too.
Jan 31, 2013
This cake has a good flavor and is moist. I shared some with my daughter and she did not know it was low fat. I will definitely make this again.
Jan 29, 2012
The cake is good. But the frosting seems a bit gritty & sweet.
Oct 19, 2011
This is a great carrot cake! Healthy and so moist!
Feb 16, 2010
I made this today for the first time. Since I am watching my saturated fats and cholesterol, I used egg replacers. The cake is so moist, and is delecious!
Aug 31, 2009
I love Carrot Cake and have been looking for a healthier version. My family loved this cake and my son loved helping me make it. I will make this again. Very moist and tasty!!