Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh raspberries and chocolate curls
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, milk, coffee, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, coffee granules, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. baking pans. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar. Add jam; beat until blended.
- For frosting, melt chocolate in a microwave; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, beat butter and chocolate until fluffy. Add marshmallow creme, confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with raspberries and chocolate curls. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 781 calories, 51g fat (23g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (64g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 19, 2015
Can u plz tell me u r using instant coffee liquid or dry?
Jan 16, 2015
I was nervous about making this Chocolate frosting because I have never made it with Fluff before. I will have to say I won't again. BUT with the raspberry frosting and cake, it tasted very good. The frosting was runny so I must of added at least a cup more confection sugar but I didn't mind because it cut the fluff taste in the frosting. I didn't like it on its own but all together the flavors blended well. I used left over raspberry frosting and pipped some flowers on top with shaved chocolate . Oh make sure you use a 9 inches round!!!!!! I used an 8 and well you know what happened. ( :
Apr 22, 2014
Delicious!! Made this for my daughter's 16th birthday party and decorated as shown with fresh raspberries and chocolate curls, it was an absolute hit! The raspberry cream filling is awesome as is the frosting!
Jul 16, 2013
I would absolutely make this delicious and moist cake again! I used 3/4 c of jam for more raspberry flavor. Frosting - this recipe makes a lot and I didn't use all of it. Unfortunately, I let the butter get "too soft" and when melting the chocolate in the micro let it get "too warm". As a result it was quite runny. Mixed it all together and put the icing in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up then frosted the cake, which worked well. Served it w/ fresh raspberries and drizzled raspberry sauce on the plate. The cake part of this recipe is identical to TOH's Moist Chocolate Cake recipe except this one has 1 tbsp. coffee granules. You can make it a day ahead. A keeper for sure!