Texas Sheet Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, bring the butter, water and cocoa to a boil. Remove from the heat. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; add to cocoa mixture. Stir in the sour cream until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; add milk and cocoa. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Pour over warm cake. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use eggs.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 418 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 22, 2019
Great classic recipe. Instructions are easy to follow, tastes great. This is our go to Texas Sheet Cake recipe.
Apr 4, 2019
I decided to try this recipe because I didn't have any eggs in the house. We thought this was a good cake. I subbed strong coffee for the water, and made it in a 9x13 for a thicker cake. It's a quick and easy recipe.
Feb 25, 2019
This is a delicious cake. So easy to make and everyone always loves it. I usually make it for large groups. I often make the white Texas sheet cake along side of this.
Jan 25, 2019
Such a quick, easy cake to make. I cut it into small squares for bake sales and church teas. A winner!
Nov 13, 2018
This is our all-time favourite cake recipe - it is often requested for birthdays and family dinners. It is so easy to throw together and it never disappoints!! Moist, rich, fudgy... We usually bake it in a 9x13 for a thicker cake and icing. You can’t beat a slice of this cake with vanilla ice cream!
Feb 24, 2018
Absolutely delicious cake ! Will make again.
Aug 1, 2017
The cake and frosting are very tasty. I realize that sheet cakes are supposed to be thin, but I prefer a thicker cake. I also prefer nuts in the frosting so added 1 cup of chopped pecans to the frosting and enjoyed the frosting very much that way.
Jun 28, 2017
This cake is moist and chocolaty good! Thanks for the recipe!!
Mar 21, 2017
Per suggestions, I substituted 1 cup espresso for tge water and was happy how the cake turned out. Left the icing recipe alone and found it to be fudgy and delicious. For those who had trouble with it beng too mushy, low fat sour cream may have been the culprit. I made that mistake with a different recipe and the middle of the cake never got dne.
Jun 17, 2016
We have made this over and over and it always turns out incredibly. Moist, rich, and absolutely irresistible. This is a go-to for my family for any occasion and we are always hounded for the recipe!