Marvelous Cannoli Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package French vanilla cake mix (regular size)
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and extracts; stir in chocolate. In another bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar, milk and extracts on medium speed until creamy (do not overmix).
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining filling over top of cake to within 1 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with 2 cups frosting.
- Press almonds into sides of cake. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 591 calories, 37g fat (15g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 4, 2019
Mascarpone comes in various textures from yogurt to hard butter. The authentic Italian method is drained before it is packaged. Research the brands that are best for frosting. Cooks illustrated has a breakdown of brands. I used Galbone, both for the mascarpone
Dec 24, 2018
This recipe is a total flop. I doubled the filling to use a frosting as was suggested. It never solidified paste the consistency of mayonnaise. It is Christmas Eve and all I have is a sweet soggy mess.
Jun 8, 2018
This cake is delicious. Like some reviewers, I drain the ricotta overnight and left out the rum extract and it was perfect.
Dec 28, 2017
I made this for Christmas. My family loved it. Instead of making the frosting. I read the notes and made double filling. I used the rest of the filling for frosting. I didn't add chocolate to filling. I made cake into 4 layers. After spreading filling on each layer. I sprinkled mini chocolate chips and chopped walnuts on each layer. Frosted the cake with the rest of filling and sprinkled mini chocolate chips and chopped walnuts on top. No nuts on the side. It was a big success. Will definitely make it again. The flavors were amazing.
Oct 19, 2017
Not a fan of cannoli's but the friend I made the cake for is. After reading the reviews (which I always do first) I made some adjustments. I drained the ricotta overnight, halved the cinnamon and left out the rum extract. I halved the icing and used cream cheese instead of mascarpone. Well everyone just loved this cake, myself included. The combination of flavors make this one delicious cake.
Sep 26, 2017
I just made this for my husbands birthday and needless to say it was a HUGE success. The cake disappeared right before my eyes! I followed the recipe to a T and didnt have any problems with it being soupy. I will definitely be making this again.and again...wish I could send a picture. But it looked just like yours. Yummmmyyyy
Aug 25, 2017
This recipe as written is a complete flop. DO NOT waste your ingredients and time on this terrible recipe. I expect better from a Taste of Home recipe. Apparently you have to drain both the ricotta and the mascarpone cheese before using. This information was not included in the directions and I only discovered this after attempting this recipe and having a watery mess for the filling when I decided to read the reviews. Also, there is way too much extract used in this recipe.
Nov 2, 2016
This dessert will be perfect for my dad's birthday coming up. Can't wait to try this recipe out!
Sep 9, 2016
I made this cake for my fiance's bday as written. He really liked it, but I felt like their was just too many extracts used. The flavor of the rum and almond was too strong for my liking. If I had to make it again I'd either use way less or forgo the rum all together. My kids didn't really care for it either. I didn't have any problems with the frosting being runny. The marscapone cheese was delicious in the frosting. My favorite part of the cake! Needless to say after the first night of eating it, it sat in my fridge untouched until I threw it away days later. Probably won't make again, but IF I do I'll cut out a lot of the extracts.
Mar 27, 2016
A bit of a challenge to put together but well worth the effort. It is as delicious as it looks.