Pickled Rainbow Chard
Pickling adds pop to fresh foods, especially Swiss chard stems. In this easy fridge method, sweet meets tart and it all balances out overnight. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 2 bunches rainbow Swiss chard
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- Trim leaves from Swiss chard; save for another use. Cut stems into 2-in. pieces; place in a large heatproof nonreactive bowl. Add onion, pickling spices, celery seed and mustard seed.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar and water; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring to dissolve sugar; pour carefully over chard mixture. Cool completely. Refrigerate, covered, overnight, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 48 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Pickled Rainbow Chard Stems in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.